Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Aluminum Soldering

On Jun 29, 10:23*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,
*George Herold wrote:

(reposted from SED)
I want to try soldering some aluminum plate (0.032˛) onto each side
of
a brass cylinder. *When trying to solder aluminum in the past I
failed. *I think I heard that some Al alloys are easier to solder
than
others. *Išve got a choice (From McMaster-C) of 6061, 2024. 7075, and
1100. * Any idea of which is better?

I was also planning on getting some aluminum flux and some Zn/tin
solder from McM-C. *Other suggestions welcome.

If the temperature coefficients of linear expansion of the brass and the
aluminum don't match to within something like 1%, the joint will surely
tear itself apart, no matter how well soldered the joint is.

Joe Gwinn

I looked to see if I could find for myself criteria for brazing of
dissimilar metals. I found this:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ndm7k3

I thought that a filler metal needed to be a material that could alloy
with the materials being joined. That's certainly the case with zinc,
brass and aluminum. It seems to be a complicated subject, but I
expect that he's on the right track (if he can control oxidation and
allow space for the filler and alloying).

For what it's worth, I also found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGy7pHx6P3Y