Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can I Bullnose Porcelain Tile With A Belt Sander?

I'm thinking of covering a concrete stoop with 12" x 12" porcelain
tile. The stoop has one ~13" x 5' step up to a 4' x 5' slab. Therefore
there are 2 risers.

I want to bullnose the edges of the step and slab, both along the
fronts and the sides, but I'm not sure what the best method is.

Should I buy bullnose tiles (~3 " x 12") and use those on the 3 edges
of the step and slab or can I use full size tiles and bullnose the
edges with a belt sander?

I'm pretty sure that I can build out the upper riser with Durock so
that a single 12" tile will cover the step, which would be much easier
than using a bullnose tile and a cut 12" x 12". If I did that on the
step then I'd use full tiles on the slab also

I've seen videos where a belt sander is used to create the bullnose on
tile, but they weren't porcelain.

I'm thinkng that the bullnose tiles might make a nice looking edging,
but it will result in a lot more cut tiles in the field.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!