Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default Loctite stick advice please

wrote in message
I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

I think this is a situation where you go back to the customer and ask if the
adhesive-free part of the stud has to extend exactly to the surface or could
they allow, lets say, a 0.030" region near the surface that may have some
adhesive.

If they say no, ask if there could be a small shallow counterbore or
countersink around the threaded hole that would let some adhesive ooze out
without extending above the surface.