Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Loctite stick advice please

wrote in news:fmhpu7hudfpauh2bhnaubu3venbqu4bro8@
4ax.com:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:11:26 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:13:17 -0700,
wrote:

I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a
brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the
brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that
Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the
small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied
cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the
threads. Anybody know?

I've used it to lock what I remember to be 8-32 setscrews back when I
was an auto mechanic. I secured loose blower fans to the motor shafts.
I was using the red 271 threadlocker, the liquid form of 268, and I
never had a come-back after using it.

Thanks Larry, that's just what I was looking for. I'm sure that any
compound that doesn't make it into the part will be easier to remove
than a liquid that will wick along the threads.

I've used the red stuff, but on larger screws. It's pretty squishy, and
it's very hard to put so little on the threads that none of it squeezes
out as you thread things together.

Doug White