Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default outdoor grease lubricant

On Jun 28, 7:34*am, "Doug" wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:29:32 -0500, The Daring Dufas

wrote:
On 6/26/2012 10:58 PM, Doug wrote:
I had to oil up a latch on a wooden fence gate today and I decided to
lubricate the latch mechanism with some wd-40. *I was originally
thinking of using some petroleum jelly for better longevity but after
more thought, I thought this might make matters worst if it absorbs
dirt. * Am I correct in not using grease or is there a better grease
for this outdoor job considering the blistering heat and rain (Texas)?

I've been using industrial chain lube to lubricate anything exposed to
the weather. I get it at auto parts stores. ^_^

http://store.veeindustries.com/liqui...-chain-lubrica...

http://goo.gl/6kP4Z

TDD

Sounds a bit like overkill but it also sounds like it will do the job
nicely. *I just have to be careful to not overspray but that's easy
enough with a rag afterwards. * Thanks.- Prevention is often better than reparation.

Consider masking off the area around the latch so that the overspray
never makes contact with the wood.

Once the overspray gets on the wood, some of it will soak in and a rag
won't get it all off. This might impact the future use of a finish
that might not take because of the grease.

This might not be a big deal in this case, but I just thought I'd
bring up masking as a "best practice" to avoid the consequences of
overspray.