Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default sill plate attachment on old construction?

How were sill plates attached to concrete foundations in older (60 years
in this case) construction?

I'm just tearing into a 12' rotted-out section of exterior wall in the
workshop and the sill plate is completely shot - but I'm not seeing any
signs of how the plate's anchored to the concrete; no J-bolts or wedges.
I'm not seeing evidence of wire ties either, although I suppose they
might have disintegrated.

Maybe it'll become obvious once I tear the rotted plate out (and
hopefully the answer isn't "nothing" ;-) but I probably won't get to that
until later today once I've got the structure well supported. I'll put
wedges in when I shoe-horn a new plate in...

cheers

Jules