Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Dust free place to apply poly

On 6/27/2012 7:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 6:48 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/27/2012 6:37 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 4:50 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

A follow up to my gel varnish suggestion....

I just came in from the shop. I applied Old Masters Gel Varnish to the
top, bottom, and front edge of 16 shelves and to the fronts of 6
cabinet
backs,approximately 14"x75"

After applying the varnish to one side I immediately flipped them
over on
the fresh surface to do the other side, one at a time. When finished
with each I picked them up with no worry of dust or prints and stood
them
on end with a fan blowing on them.

That took about 2.5 hours.

I know you already have your varnish but go buy a can of Old Masters
and
skip all the preparation that goes with liquid varnishes. BTY no
scuffing between coats either.

Use sparingly, I used 1/2 quart. Subsequent coats will take much less.

My shoulders are aching just reading this. The heat ran me out of the
shop
around 3 ... not as hot outside as yesterday, but 104 in the shop.

LOL I for got to mention that I gave ease surface a "double" wipe down
with t-shirt tags to remove excess varnish but that only to a few
moments. I saw 99 in the shop but with the fan blosing directly on me I
was able to do all the pieces non stop in about 2.5 hours. Just checked
their drying progress and the first ones are ready to be recoated.

Ok, just got done with the second coat on all that above, 90 minutes.