Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default OT - power outages; where are they reported?

"David WE Roberts" writes:

David WE Roberts wrote:
Just had a power outage for a couple of minutes.
It came back on before I got bored enough to demonstrate my independance
from the National Grid (short term) by tethering my laptop to my mobile
for Internet access.
However I would like to know what caused it and if it is likely to happen
again before I power up the desktop.
Location is coastal Suffolk.

Is there any online resource which carries immediate reports of power
outages and causes?

Nothing obvious going on to explain this one - no thunder storms and the
like.

Mm. I phoned up am emergency number when it happened to me.

Online resources telling you you cant get online are as useful as tits on
a bull.

Given that a substantial minority of the public now have a smart phone which
can access web sites, then t'Internet is a valid route for a query.
Unless of course the cellular masts and the local telephone exchange are
down, in which case a phone number isn't much use either.

I see very few power outages in Edinburgh, but curiously I too had an
outage today, from a little after 12:30 to almost exactly 13:00.
I suspect this was scheduled.
The UPS kicked in, so no problem there (and even without that, Linux
recovers pretty well from power failure, though it takes some time to
check/fix filesystems) but the Virgin phone line was dead so I couldn't
call anyone.
--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m