Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - power outages; where are they reported?

Mark wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:08:45 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

David WE Roberts wrote:
Just had a power outage for a couple of minutes.
It came back on before I got bored enough to demonstrate my
independance from the National Grid (short term) by tethering my laptop
to my mobile for Internet access.
However I would like to know what caused it and if it is likely to
happen again before I power up the desktop.
Location is coastal Suffolk.

Is there any online resource which carries immediate reports of power
outages and causes?

Nothing obvious going on to explain this one - no thunder storms and
the like.

Cheers

Dave R

number is/should be 0800 783 8838

Thanks - I discounted ringing a phone number because
(a) A large number of other people are likely to be competing for the same
number
(b) It isn't an emergency. If it was off for some time then I might try
that.

If it's the same number I call (I can't recall) then you just get a
recorded message saying something like "we know about the problem but
we've no idea what caused it or when it will be fixed".

EDF^H^H^H UKPower do at least answer the phone - only to claim they know
nothing, despite the fact that I know[1] it is the main 66(or 33)kV
substation that has tripped and I'm pretty sure they will have remote
monitoring and possibly remote control on that.

[1] The whole village goes out and the substation has twin HV feeds, so
unless something really unlucky happens to take both out...

--
Tim Watts