Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT - power outages; where are they reported?

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:43:27 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I have a couple of LED torches with the switch bridged by a 10M resistor
so that they glow continuously. That way after dark adaption you can
find them in total darkness. Where I live is seriously dark if the mains
fails. I have two emergency lights - kitchen and dining room.

That's a dead good idea and I might steal it from you.

Much better to have rechargeable torches that come on auto
when the mains fails. That way they are very easy to find and
you can just unplug it from the charger and use it wherever
you like.

I have candles and cigarette lighters in strategic places where they
can always be found without tripping over any furniture on the way.

Makes more sense to keep a torch in the same places.

For a non-smoker I seem to have a lot of cigarette lighters around:
but apart from candle-lighting on power-off days, I use them for
odd jobs in the workshop.