Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28574 Ignoramus28574 is offline

Default Are electric cars more energy efficient?

On 2012-06-28, wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:31:00 -0500, Jon Elson

And if the Japanese power company had built the plant 20 metres
higher above sea level the whole tragedy for the people would probably
not have happened.

Yup, this was a train wreck that anybody even remotely familiar with
the technology (and Japan, where they invented the word tsunami) had
40 YEARS to see coming! But, TEPCO wanted to finish out the life of the #1
plant without spending anything more on it.

It is totally amazing that nothing was done, even though they had
meetings on the risks and what could be done to mitigate them.

Jon

And the cooling water pumps run off the grid? instead of off the
reactor. And the backup generator was in the basement, where it
flooded even before the reactor gave any trouble. Pretty poor design,
when it comes to failsafe. But it was Japanese engineering, so of
course nothing would ever go wrong.

The reactor is American, I would call it American engineering.

Now I've got nothing against Japanese products, but the japanese
industrial culture is not responsive to outside suggestion - I worked
for 10 years as service manager for a large Japanese industrial
concern.