Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default OT - power outages; where are they reported?

One issue seems to be that at least at present, bt lines do not go down when
the power fails, but cable company and of course voip and probably cellular
all tend to.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

David WE Roberts wrote:
Just had a power outage for a couple of minutes.
It came back on before I got bored enough to demonstrate my independance
from the National Grid (short term) by tethering my laptop to my mobile
for Internet access.
However I would like to know what caused it and if it is likely to
happen again before I power up the desktop.
Location is coastal Suffolk.

Is there any online resource which carries immediate reports of power
outages and causes?

Nothing obvious going on to explain this one - no thunder storms and the
like.

Mm. I phoned up am emergency number when it happened to me.

Online resources telling you you cant get online are as useful as tits on
a bull.

Given that a substantial minority of the public now have a smart phone
which can access web sites, then t'Internet is a valid route for a query.
Unless of course the cellular masts and the local telephone exchange are
down, in which case a phone number isn't much use either.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)