Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 78 year old company threatened by eminent domain

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 06:47:46 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

George wrote:

Isn't this really a "free market" thing? Lets say I own a nicely
maintained 3rd generation in my family cottage down by the marina and
there are some more folks like me there too. You have a 155' boat and
sometimes use the marina and really don't like the idea of my type of
cottage near your boat. You have the resources to purchase the correct
politicians to seize our properties on your behalf and we don't have
the resources to fight. So you win fair and square "free market"
style. Why would someone like me even think about complaining?

Seize your property for what purpose? To expand the marina?

Well, you had fair warning when you let the city get into the marina
business.

Not true. Since the lefties on the Supreme Court ruled in the Kelo case, ED
can now be used to take your property and give it to someone who will pay more
taxes. The city doesn't have to be in the marina business at all.

Next, the city can't actually "seize" your property - they have to condemn
it if the two of you can't work out an acceptable price. When that happens,
a court contest ensues and you have an opportunity to persuade your
neighbors on the jury...

Perhaps you missed this sentence:

"You have the resources to purchase the correct politicians to seize
our properties on your behalf and we don't have the resources to fight."

The politician gets to hire their lawyer with your tax money. You don't.