Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Are electric cars more energy efficient?

"Jon Elson" wrote in message ...
whoyakidding wrote:

I'm considering buying a Chevy Volt.

OK, will you mostly be doing short drives and then recharging from
the line? If so, the cost to operate it looks really good! If you
will be going more than 28 miles or so on a typical day's driving
before recharging, then it starts to look really bad, and many
cars on the road will actually do BETTER! It appears the Volt gets
about 26 MPG on gasoline.

Take a look at the Honda Civic Hybrid. I get over 50 MPG in mixed
city/hwy driving. I just did an 1100 mile round trip to a conference,
with 600+ Lbs of junk in the car (plus me) and going 70 MPH on the highway
in beastly heat, I got 46 MPG. If I ran a bit slower with less weight,
I'd get 49 or so. The HCH is a LOT cheaper than the Volt.

Jon

Jon

I'm curious as to how much range ( if any ) it has if run clear out of gas