Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default suitable gear material for backgear - SMALL lathe and homemade cutters

Des Bromilow wrote:

Scenario - I'm building some backgears for a Taig lathe (small lathe
the size of a sherline - chuck is nominally 2.5-3" in diameter) and
will be cutting the gears with a silver steel (Drill rod) parallel hob

The bull wheel will be around 3.5" in diameter at most and the mating
spur wheel will be around 1" (up to 1.5")
The face of the wheels will be in the 10-12mm (3/8" - 1/2") range and
the lathe uses a 350W (0.5 hp) motor off a 1/8" gates v-belt

What would be a suitable material for the bull wheel which can be cut
using a homemade cutter?
materials I have available include:
mild steel, aluminium, nylon, brass (if I can get the foundry up
running again)

Aluminum is a terrible choice for gears with any load. If anodized,
they are OK for very light loads. Nylon would probably work at this
load. Brass would be fine, and steel would be too, just a little harder
to machine.

Jon