Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default outdoor grease lubricant

On 6/26/2012 10:58 PM, Doug wrote:
I had to oil up a latch on a wooden fence gate today and I decided to
lubricate the latch mechanism with some wd-40. I was originally
thinking of using some petroleum jelly for better longevity but after
more thought, I thought this might make matters worst if it absorbs
dirt. Am I correct in not using grease or is there a better grease
for this outdoor job considering the blistering heat and rain (Texas)?

well first of all, wd40 is not a lubricant. It is merely a water
dispersant. (basically kerosene) Go down to your local auto parts store
and get some waterproof wheel bearing grease (for boat trailers) and
apply with a small brush as needed.

--
Steve Barker