Chipper Wood

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

Steve,
Using the first site you posted, Between 5 and 100 milliamps is what I was
referring to. Milli as in millennium = 1/1000 100/1000 = 1/10 amp. This
will get your attention and cause a reflex. From experience, 277 v. is about
2 1/2 times this amount and is definitely painful at just a touch. Multiply
the contact by the area of holding a metal device such as wire strippers
firmly and at 120 v. there is a disabling or lethal current present. IMHO,
There is nothing about contact with household electric current that can be
considered 'harmless' and I hope that no one derived that conclusion from
what I wrote.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"Steve Dunbar" wrote in message
Chipper Wood wrote:

touching a 120 v. connection would
draw only about 1/10 of an amp. in current if you were also in contact
with a grounded item. Translated, that's about 1 watt of power divided
across 4 to 5 feet of ones body. It would cause a definite reaction, but
no damage.

Actually, this amount of current is far from harmless and may be fatal.

See
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2002-123/2002-123b.html,
http://www.tpub.com/content/fc/14098/css/14098_34.htm, and
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html.