Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Are electric cars more energy efficient?

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:36:20 -0700, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article ,
says...

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

While I haven't seen power budgets, if an electric car manages to
take 80% of the energy that came in on the charging plug and turns
it into forward motion, I'd be surprised.

http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/fsev/costs.pdf

That's dollar cost and has little to do with the actual energy
consumed.

Pretty sure Iggy was primarily looking at the situation from an economic
standpoint, specifically, the out-of pocket cost per mile traveled.

And besides, you failed to come up with anything that would quantify a
diference in the total amount of energy that's actually consumed one way
or the other.

Correction -- _you_ failed to come up with a figure. The best you could
come up with was a multicolor graphic from a bureaucrat written for
people who don't understand what energy really is.

Wrong.

Since both electricity and fossil fuel energy dissipation can be expressed
as BTU, it can easily be calculated that in the case of the 4 mile / kwh
vehicle, the total energy consumed when expressed as btu works out to be
about 853 btu per mile.

Now, we take a look at gasoline...which when burned produces appx 125,000
btu per gallon...and for the purpose of discussion, lets assume a car that
gets 30 mpg....what we end up with here is an energy consumption rate that
totals out at a whopping 4166 btu /mile.

In other words, with a gasoline powered car, most of the energy that gets
consumed, ends up going directly out the tailpipe...