Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default EZ-go electric cart question

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

My wife is about to kill me. We have an '03 36V electric EZ-Go for her
excursions around the property.

It's developed a "no climb" problem. With the throttle down, the cart
goes about 1/4 speed on flats, and won't climb a 2% grade.

It's accompanied by a near-silent gentle vibration. Close listening
discovers that the motor is running full-speed, but the wheels aren't.

I took off both rear hubs and inspected the splines. I've seen them go
on EZ-Gos before. But they were fine, and that problem is usually
accompanied by a fairly loud growling noise.

The motor input/diff-case is a unitized, sealed affair, and I cannot find
any drawings for it -- electric cart, not gas; found the gas diagrams.

There _may_ be a belt inside the case, or a clutch to prevent overloads.
This feels just like a slipping friction element. But I have to pull the
whole rear axle assembly and both axles from the case to do that
inspection -- ain't a small job. So I'm looking for hints first before I
shoulder into that job.

On-line help is scant except for one site that is down right now.

Has anyone here seen this problem specifically on an electric EZ-Go?

Lloyd

Since you will have to dig into it to fix it, does it really make sense
to procrastinate on digging into it to find out what you need to fix?