Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EZ-go electric cart question

My wife is about to kill me. We have an '03 36V electric EZ-Go for her
excursions around the property.

It's developed a "no climb" problem. With the throttle down, the cart
goes about 1/4 speed on flats, and won't climb a 2% grade.

It's accompanied by a near-silent gentle vibration. Close listening
discovers that the motor is running full-speed, but the wheels aren't.

I took off both rear hubs and inspected the splines. I've seen them go
on EZ-Gos before. But they were fine, and that problem is usually
accompanied by a fairly loud growling noise.

The motor input/diff-case is a unitized, sealed affair, and I cannot find
any drawings for it -- electric cart, not gas; found the gas diagrams.

There _may_ be a belt inside the case, or a clutch to prevent overloads.
This feels just like a slipping friction element. But I have to pull the
whole rear axle assembly and both axles from the case to do that
inspection -- ain't a small job. So I'm looking for hints first before I
shoulder into that job.

On-line help is scant except for one site that is down right now.

Has anyone here seen this problem specifically on an electric EZ-Go?

Lloyd