Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default 78 year old company threatened by eminent domain

On 6/25/2012 9:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:08:45 -0500, Hell Toupee
wrote:

The state of Virginia has a constitutional amendment on its ballot
this fall to change the terms under which eminent domain can be
exercised. It is proposed to limit it to improvements made for the
public good, not private profit, and that fair compensation must
include paying for lost profits and access to the land besides buying
the real estate.

Eminent domain can work the other way, too. If the redevelopment
authority or local government is in bed with the local property
owners, they'll cheerfully negotiate to purchase properties at
outrageously high values. In either scenario, the taxpayers get stuck.

There have been quite a few cases of abuse in the past few years. Here
in CT, some houses were taken for development. After a lengthy fight,
the homeowners lost and were kicked out. The project that was
supposed to happen never did. Shameful what they did.

Its all about tax revenue.

Wasn't their a little slowdown after it happened to one of the
"supremes" in I think MA? I only vaguely remember the story but some
developer paid off the right people to get the properties they wanted
and one of those just happened to be owned by "justice x"?