Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are electric cars more energy efficient?

"Ignoramus6950" wrote in message
I was thinking about electric cars today.
An internal combustion car, burns fuel inside cylinders and produces
energy according to Carnot cycle. Say, it makes 28% of energy from
the
total BTU of fuel that it burns.
Compare it with an electric car. A coal electric power station
operates at efficiency of 33% (Wikipedia).

If you put a similarly low powered gas engine in a car you could
achieve similar efficiency, but it would be only feeble, without the
compensating green status appeal. Such cars don't sell well enough.
The people who demand them want to force them on someone else.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/31/h...on-from-prius/

My 1978 Accord averaged 36-38 MPG with the interior space of a Saab or
BMW.
It handled better than my rich buddy's Saab 900 Turbo, too. (but was
no match for his BMW 2002)

jsw,