Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] recyclebinned@gmail.com is offline

Default In the old days

On Monday, June 25, 2012 9:48:25 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:07:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, June 25, 2012 7:34:45 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:18:30 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

but at least it's better than buying a Rockwell 3RILL.

that tool does have an all metal gearbox - no plastic.

How do you know? Did you open and look inside its transmission.

Its a feature specified by Rockwell ( check the web ). There is an
animated video showing the gearbox, but hey, they could be lying.
Right?

Dewalt was claiming the same thing but it s not.

Which model? I've not heard such a claim from DeWalt. If they
practice fraud, that's another problem.

When I told them that I bought a drill that had a plastic gear the Dewalt sales person at Home Depot claimed that all their models now had steel gears.. So I told him that I would buy their latest model but as soon as I bought it that I was going to open-up the transmission to look inside and that if I saw that it had a plastic gear I would be returning it even though I had tampered with it and that he would be obligated to reimburse me. When I told him that, he suddenly changed his mind about selling me anything.

The Dewalt model that I had that is now gathering dust was DW006 if you're interested.

As for the Rockwell 3RILL, I don't know what their transmission looks like but I would worry more about their so called "Lifetime Replacement Battery" claim. Here's why:

On their web-site:

https://www.rockwelltools.com/US/Warranty.aspx

they write:

"The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement is available free of charge*......"

I'm not sure what they mean by that but it seems like they don't want to give you the agreement itself unless you specifically ask for it.

Then they say:

".......subject to the terms and conditions stated below."

and below it says:

"Rockwell Power Tools reserves the right to cancel, alter or change the implied or written terms and conditions of the Free Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement at any time."

and also:

"This Lifetime Battery Replacement Agreement is not a warranty; it does not alter or limit the 2-Year Limited Consumer Warranty provided with your product,......."

and also:

"This warranty does NOT cover accessories or battery packs."

Not to mention:

"The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement is available for all Rockwell hand-held battery-powered tools featuring LithiumTech, Compack or Powertank batteries."

So you better make sure you even have the right kind of batteries.

and also it seems there is no physical address anywhere on the web-site for Rockwell Tools which looks like is a part of Worx International which looks like is only a web-site developer and re-sellers:

http://www.worxinternational.com/aboutus.html

which doesn't have a physical address anywhere on their web-sit either.

Good luck finding them a year from now.