Posted to alt.home.repair
83LowRider 83LowRider is offline

Default What would be the best way to find out the value of a slate pool table?

What is it worth?

Most common are 7 ft. bar tables and 9 ft. pool hall tables. The very
good players prefer to buy a table for home which is the same size as
what they would play tournaments on (7/9 ft.).

So that would leave inexperienced players who would purchase such a
table. Some of these want a "fancy room decoration" and might rarely
play on it. If it is not in good looking condition, nothing fancy, and
no "name" on it, then that rules out those buyers.

So you are looking at maybe getting $50 to $200 I would guess.

As a former owner of a pool/gameroom, this is a bit incorrect.
Most tables are 4x8 ---- and there are two sizes -- standard and
oversized. A 7' table in 'rough' shape is about useless... give it to anyone
willing to haul it off. The rare exception to this is if it is an old
Brunswick
or a top model of another brand. If the legs and pockets and trim are
very ornate -- it's worth a few bucks even being a 7 footer.

I had two 9' tables at my place. Those are usually only used by the
'better' players. If yours is a 4x8, and no name to be found on it,
once again -- look at how ornate the legs and edging is on it. If it's
a plain jane and no known name brand on it, take the first hundred
bucks offered. It's about a hundred bucks for felt and about the same
(100-150) to cover labor. As a sidenote, many of the old Sears tables
used a honeycomb slate. Those tables are the bottom rung of the ladder.