Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Calling All Inventors. Fridge as dehumidifier.

On 25 Jun 2012 13:33:34 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 05:40:31 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On 25 Jun 2012 03:59:12 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 18:15:19 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The older furnaces were only capable of sucking 80% of the energy out
of the heat stream. Time for a new box, Winnie.

I couldn't agree more.

I have a 1,500sf house in So. OR with 4" of insulation in the attic,
none in the walls, and 12" in the floor (I had it installed 2 years
ago when the vapor barrier and borates were squirted on.) My gas bill
is $58/mo yearround (comfort level billing) at 69F. I'll install new
attic insulation when I get an extra grand I don't need.

That'll be about the time I do an energy audit. It'll be interesting to
locate all the air leaks.

HooBoy.

Lots of utility and remodeling companies are doing those free right now,
with gov't subsidies for the blower door tests.

I understand one can use slivered bamboo as a smoke punk to
trace infiltration / exfiltration as well.

Don't waste your equipment for that, save it for a real good torture,
eh? Use a stick of incense instead. They work fine as punks for the
4th, too.

I'm still decluttering
(about $500 via Craigslist so far, $0 from RogueValley Recyclers, and $0
from the Goodwill), so, when I can see the floors and walls in most
rooms again (sigh), I'll be taking them up on it.

That is the Eternal Battle for Floorspace.
I am very familiar with that.

I'm sure that 94% of us are. Screw that 6% of guys who are efficient.
I'm sure their lives are boring.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.