Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Fatally Flawed

PlugSafe wrote:
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 4:29:42 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
PlugSafe wrote:
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:51:49 PM UTC+1, Steve Firth wrote:
PlugSafe
wrote:
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:39:46 PM UTC+1, Steve Firth wrote:
[snip]

"installed by a handyman, instead of removing the fuse and
ensuring that the lead was safely disposed of the lead was
left lying where Liam could find it." seems pretty clear to
me.

It's not clear at all. You want it to be clear but it does not
in any way place blame upon the handyman, particularly if the
full sentence is quoted rather than editing it as you did above.

"The lead with moulded plug attached had been removed from an
appliance that was being installed by a handyman,"

Does not clearly identify the handyman as the person
responsible for removing the lead.

" instead of removing the fuse and ensuring that the lead was
safely disposed of the lead was left lying where Liam could
find it."

Again does not clearly identify the handyman as the person
responsible.

Now set it in the context of your page that repeatedly states
the *parents* are responsible for making safe appliances and
leads.

Perhaps you could rewrite your page to state, clearly that the
death was the result of the handyman's negligence and had
nothing to do with socket covers or with Parents failing to
take proper care of appliances and leads?

You have absolutely no evidence to back up the myth that
socket covers prevent children putting plugs in.

You have absolutely no evidence that their use degrades safety.
Not even a credible mechanism by which they could do so.

However your responses here are making it clear that you're one
of those pompous arses who will never admit fault, so I don't
expect to see any recognition of your errors.

First, let me ask you if you are suggesting that parents are not
responsible for ensuring that their homes are safe? The way that
you have written would seem to suggest that.

Leaving that aside, we have no wish to have anyone misinterpret
the piece about Liam, albeit that the misinterpretation under
discussion is disingenuous in the extreme. Accordingly the piece
has been re-written as follows:
"In February 2009 Liam, 22 months old, was killed when he
received an electric shock while playing with a plug and lead he
had found lying in his home. A handyman, who had removed the
lead with attached plug from an appliance that he was installing,
had left it lying where Liam could find it. The handyman should
have removed the fuse and ensured that the lead was safely
disposed of.
Liam took the lead to his playroom, plugged it into a socket and
grabbed hold of the bare wires.
According to a pathologist Liam died instantly."
By the time you read this our webmaster should have updated the
site.

Given that the page on which Liam's story is related is clearly
headed "Other Dangers" it is hard to see why you would wish a
statement that Liam's death had nothing to do with socket covers.

As far as evidence of the danger of socket covers goes, the site
is full of it. We go to great lengths to explain how the use of
socket covers which do not conform to the proper dimensions (ie,
all plug-in socket covers) gives rise to all sorts of dangers.
If you have any evidence to the contrary please state it rather
than making sweeping statements which are completely unsupported.

Whilst I agree that the socket covers that are currently available
are a pile of ****e the very mention of Liam Boyles death on your
site is wrong. His was a life that could potentially have been
saved by the use of one of these socket covers that you consider so
dangerous but have not yet been proven to be the cause of a death.

From your site

"How many injuries or deaths have been caused by the use of socket
covers?

The UK government does not collect statistics on the causes of
death by electric shock in the home, we have been unable to find
any reliable UK statistics on the subject.

Our position is simply that the possibility of electrocution caused
by the use of socket covers in UK sockets is clearly demonstrable,
while we have identified no benefit attributable to their use."

Liams death is IMHO a reason for using socket covers. Using
correctly fitting covers would be even better.

Socket covers are like RCDs in terms of saving lives. We do not
know how many lives have been saved because of them.

--
Adam

But the Sheriff, on the basis of the evidence, disagrees with you,
therefore Liam's death does not in any way support your argument.
Whose are the other deaths you refer to?

Why do you continue to ignore the facts?

Facts are very difficult to come by. One Sheriff has said the socket covers
would not help. That is not a fact that is one Shefiffs opinion.

And I can remember the pathologist stating that Ian Tomlinson died of
natural causes.

I do not trust authority.

--
Adam