Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Calling All Inventors. Fridge as dehumidifier.

On 25 Jun 2012 03:59:12 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 18:15:19 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The older furnaces were only capable of sucking 80% of the energy out of
the heat stream. Time for a new box, Winnie.

I couldn't agree more.

I have a 1,500sf house in So. OR with 4" of insulation in the attic,
none in the walls, and 12" in the floor (I had it installed 2 years ago
when the vapor barrier and borates were squirted on.) My gas bill is
$58/mo yearround (comfort level billing) at 69F. I'll install new attic
insulation when I get an extra grand I don't need.

That'll be about the time I do an energy audit.
It'll be interesting to locate all the air leaks.

HooBoy.

Lots of utility and remodeling companies are doing those free right
now, with gov't subsidies for the blower door tests. I'm still
decluttering (about $500 via Craigslist so far, $0 from RogueValley
Recyclers, and $0 from the Goodwill), so, when I can see the floors
and walls in most rooms again (sigh), I'll be taking them up on it.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.