Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Mini-split AC systerms? ? ?

On Jun 21, 4:28*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Ray" wrote:
I'm considering getting one of those Mitsubishi mini-split air conditioning
systems as an alternative to central AC, with a single small external unit
serving three *units inside the apartment.

This is also a heat pump.

I've been told that these systems require a lot of maintenance.

I'd be grateful if anyone could provide experience with these systems.
Thanks.

Me too-- * * I cool 2 rooms about 10-20 *days a year. * The rooms are
one above the other. * *Been using 5-10K BTU window bangers forever.

I looked at installing a unit on a pad and mounting an interior unit
in each room.

Advantage- Rooms quieter; more attractive- doesn't plug a window;
easier- no more taking them out in the fall; more efficient?? [I
question that because I rarely run both rooms at once- so I'd be
running an oversized compressor most of the time. * Likely to be more
efficient than central air-- but it seems like the window bangers are
still cheaper to operate if only one is running.]

disadvantage-- * *Way* more expensive. * *I can buy about 6
wallbangers for the price of a minisplit. * *And any service calls
would cost as much as buying a replacement window A/C. *[and I could
replace the window unit in about an hour- and not wait for a service
call, etc]

I could probably set up central air [I have hot air heat] for about
what a mini-split and 2 wall units would cost--- * but there is still
that whole 'inefficiency thing.

Jim

And wallbangers are contained within the apartment...
They are not placed outside on the ground and require
running wiring and refrigerant lines up the outside of the
building -- which is something only the owner of the
building can do as that is outside of the boundaries of
the "apartment"...

That issue is something the OP has never clarified as
of yet... Does he own the "apartment" ? Does he have
the legal right to install equipment located outside of
the "apartment" or does he need permission/approval
of someone else who controls/owns that area...