Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Spray paint or brush?

On Jun 24, 3:36*pm, "MaryL" wrote:
"EXT" *wrote in message

anews.com...

"MaryL" wrote in message

I have a brick home with wood trim, and it is time to have the trim
painted. I plan to use the same painters that I used a number of years
ago. *They did a good job, but I do have a question. *I told them that I
wanted it to be painted with a brush and not spray painted. *They said
they prefer to spray and then go over it with a brush (brushing the
sprayed-on paint, not direct from a bucket). *They claim that will do just
as good a job and get as much paint on the wood. *They would use the brush
to make sure paint gets into any little cracks. *I really don't remember
what method they used last time because it has been a number of years.

Does this sound like the right method? *I really don't know anything at
all about painting, so I admit that my original request for brush painting
was based only on what I saw at my parents' home many years ago.

I live in East Texas--lots of heat and high humidity. *I did also say that
I would like mildew protectant in the paint.

Make sure that they show you proof of liability insurance before you let
them spray. Spraying outdoors has all kinds of hazards if the painters don't
take care. All nearby non-painted surfaces should be masked off. There
should be no wind of any significance, and all items, cars, outdoor
furniture should be removed or covered as spray paint, even airless
sprayers, can cause fine droplets of paint to drift and land and dry where
you don't want it.

Good advice! *Thanks.

MaryL

After 50 ft, my airless paintsprayer's drops are dried just enough to
be like sand everywhere, well, soft internally wet, sand.

Ended up with 'dust' everywhere.