Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank[_6_] Hank[_6_] is offline

Default In the old days

On Jun 24, 6:07*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 14:44:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
In the old days people would periodically lubricate the gears on their tools and appliances to keep them in good working order. In our so called “modernity” people have become too lazy and stupid to go around lubricating; so manufacturers have replaced hardened metal gears with plastic ones so that people don’t have to lubricate them. In fact in most modern tools and appliances, the way they are designed, you can barely access the gears let alone lubricate them. The downside is that plastic breaks a lot easier than hardened steel. Welcome to the throw away garbage life style. Here’s a thought: How many bottles and cans etc. do you have to recycle to make-up for all the damage that a throw-away appliance or tools is responsible for?

Perhaps but most here know how to "lubricate the gears" of their newsreaders.

Good timing. I had a latch mechanism brake on my RV today. There is a
plastic lever that moves the metal slide to latch the door. A piece of
metal broke off the slide where the plastic lever moves it, but the
plastic lever was still in good shape.

Hank ~~~~~ confused ;-)