Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Question for the Leftpondians - completely OT ... :-)

On Jun 24, 11:40*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 24, 10:15*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

OK. So I was watching an episode of the U.S. documentary series "Undercover
Stings" a couple of nights ago, and the camera focused briefly on a post by
the side of the road. It had two square signs on it. The upper green one
said "Starke City Limit" which I understood, but the one below it - *white
background, black lettering, black line all around the edge, said "Engine
Braking Prohibited". What does this mean ? I understand what engine braking
is - here in the UK at least - but does it mean something different your
side of the pond, and why would it be prohibited anywhere ?

Arfa

Interesting! Just saw this sign real!.

Driving towards Flagstaff, AZ on Highway 17 saw a sign that said
"Engine Braking Prohibited", way out in the wilds, no one around.

Plus, the slope was so gentle? Maybe for the trucks?

Could be pollution? *There was no way an automobile's engine would
brake on that slope. *Must be to keep the trucks from trying to save
their brakes.

Couldn't find a reference in the Arizona Revised Statutes, but here's
the law in Oregon. The offense of engine braking requires use of an
engine brake that is unmuffled. So letting your gas engine rev up down
hill would not be an offense.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.492

§ 811.492¹
Engine braking

• penalty
• exception

(1) A person commits the offense of engine braking if the person is
operating a motor vehicle on a highway and uses an unmuffled engine
brake.

(2) The offense described in this section, engine braking, is a Class
A traffic violation.

(3) A person is not in violation of this section if the person uses an
unmuffled engine brake in an emergency situation to avoid imminent
danger to a person or to property. [1993 c.314 §7]