Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Mini-split AC systerms? ? ?

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:39:33 AM UTC-5, Ray wrote:
I'm considering getting one of those Mitsubishi mini-split air conditioning
systems as an alternative to central AC, with a single small external unit
serving three units inside the apartment.

This is also a heat pump.

I've been told that these systems require a lot of maintenance.

I'd be grateful if anyone could provide experience with these systems.
Thanks.

I'd just like to add another option to the discussion: PTAC (motel through the wall units). They are closer to the price of the window units, but closer to the performance of the Mini-split. They don't marry you to a service man, it it breaks, throw it away and get another, (I recently paid $700 to get a central air compressor changed, under warranty, after shopping around, the first guy wanted $1k). The downside is the original install requires a sizable hole in the wall, plus a sleeve and grille, but only once, after that you pop them in and out like toast in a toaster (150lb toast, but still..). They are also a bit ugly, to some, to me they are beautiful, they save me money and keep me comfortable year round. Just make sure to get the heatpump version, they always have a cheaper model with induction heat.