Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is 89 or 93 octane gas slicker?

I'll have to tell them to change their stickers, immediately.
I've been to several gas stations this week, and they
mistakenly had 87 octane for sale. I'll tell them to correct
the labels, imediately. After all, invalid at example dot
com said so.

I only have to look NEXT time? I usually look every
time.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message

89-octane is also known as "Regular". This is the cheapest
grade your gas station sells.

93-octane is also known as "Premium". This is usually the
most expensive grade your station sells.

Usually there's also a mid-grade that's 91-octane.

Next time you fill up, take a look at the stickers on the
pump near the buttons where you select the grade you
want. Also, your engine's valves do not have any rubber
on them.

Octane has zero to do with how "slick' the gas is. Rubber-deterioration has
to do with the ETHANOL in the gas. All gasoline engines since about 1975
are rated for up to 10% ethanol. This means that the polymers present in
the fuel system are able to withstand the damaging effects of alcohols up
to a 10% concentration.

--
Tegger