Posted to alt.home.repair
Duesenberg Duesenberg is offline

Default Is 89 or 93 octane gas slicker?

On 6/23/2012 7:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Jack Legg wrote:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...epairs/1235927

"Spivey recommends using gasoline with an 89 or 93 octane rating, if you
can afford it. The fuel is slicker, which means it won't hang around on
your engine valves and other internal parts, eating away at the rubber."

Is this true?

Hi,
First, what is Octane value? Why 89 or 93? 91 won't do? What kinda talk
is that? I use Shell 91 always, some times 94 blended with Ethanol.
Owner's manual always mention about proper gas to use for the engine.

Using too much ethanol in a small engine might burn the engine out.
That's what a chain saw repairman for an authorized Stihl dealer and
repair centre told me. He said if you can't avoid ethanol based
gasoline, get the highest octane available for your small engine because
it'll help cut down on pre-ignition