Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bit OT. Flash drive problem ...

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:27:26 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

I took apart a dead SD card(from a camera found in the retention pond) and
it seems to be the flash memory chip without a controller/bus IC like a
flash drive has,that part being in the "card reader". I have a flash drive
with a transparent casing,and you can see there's two ICs in there.

Yep. If you look inside an SD to USB adapter, there's the 2nd chip.
It takes care of translating the SD cards 8 pins to the USB 4 pins, as
well as 3.3v to 5v translation.

Sorry about the screwup. I was playing with micro-SD while hacking a
Droid phone, and somehow decided that it was an SD card.

More than you ever wanted to know about SD cards:
https://www.sdcard.org

Official SD card formatter. Might as well try the real thing:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Drivel: SDIO science fiction products:
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/sdio/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Thanks for the pointer Jeff. I tried it, and it does correctly identify the
device, size and drive letter-wise. However, when you ask it to do a format,
it starts, then hums and hahs about it for another five minutes, before
finally declaring that the device is write protected, and that I should turn
off the write protect switch ...

Oh well ... :-\

Arfa