Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Bit OT. Flash drive problem ...

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

The only reason that I called it a file corruption issue is that XP reported
that the file structure was "RAW" and invalid when it tried to mount the
device, and it wanted to reformat it to FAT32. I guess this could be a
hardware problem, that Windoze is trying to do its best to interpret as a
software issue ...

I agree on that :- I took a hexdump of the "failed" USB stick (see other
post) and it had sections of valid data, interspersed with sections of
ever incrementing numbers. That wasn't the data that was on the stick,
ever. So it looks like the controller went bonkers and was returning
rubbish.

To Windows, it could well read a critical sector to test the FS type,
and then say "dunno. Raw?" in response to not finding a FAT/NTFS file
system.