Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Cutting to "dead nuts" on plywood

On 6/23/12 2:06 PM, MJ wrote:
Ok, I'm amount to tackle a project where I need to
cut some plywood to "dead nuts'. I can rip easily enough
with my TS, but cross cutting will be a challenge and not
possible with my TS (not enough real estate on the saw for the cut).

I was thinking of cross cutting with a circ saw to a length
slightly larger than what I needed, then come back and
use a router with a compression bit to get it "dead on".

Any other good suggestions?

Yes, I know about
building one of those circular saw cutting guides, but I got one
for the rough cut, but don't trust it for the "dead on". I just
want to "whisper cut" with the router, to get it to size.

MJ

A really good saw and a good blade that is thick, instead of the paper
thin ones that seem to be so popular nowadays. I'm dealing with the same
issue. Those thin blades flex way too much and it's just too easy to cut
a wavy line or have the bottom flex out giving you an un-square cut.

I haven't been able to find a thick 7-1/4" blade. Perhaps the ones that
come with those expensive plunge cut saws would work. That's your other
answer: a good plunge cut saw and guide.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--