Pop Rivet

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

"Pop Rivet" wrote in message

May I ask your source of that information? I would like to verify it.

It's

Check the NEC. Yes, this is the recommended way to provide
a 3-prong outlet on a non-grounded circuit. Note: it is
*supposed* to be marked so that you can tell it is not
providing a ground. The idea is, at least you won't
eletrocute yourself or somebody this way.

No, YOU check the NEC; you missed something. I already know what it

says.
Where you went off track was in failing to mention that such a situation

can
ONLY exist IF it is marked! There are also restrictions on HOW the outlet
can be so marked, and I highly doubt that you could get ANY inspector to
accept an entire domain wired that way. Your advice sounded to the
contrary. If you don't know about the marking rules, check your NEC. And
then check your locals. You must meet the more stringent of the two (or
three, or four depending on where you live)! NEC is only a minimum
requirement in the event of no other coverage. Any local code can exceed
but not decede, the NEC. Almost all do.

It seems like you mentioned NY? Hell in this state, you can hardly
put water in a toilet if there's an outlet within a hundred feet! It's
union's paradise!

Now, if you also go to your local code enforcement, you are highly

likely
in most localities to find that you would NOT be allowed to use that

wiring
method.

NO, the idea is that it allowed them to "grandfather" in old buildings where
current regulations would create a severe hardship. You would not get a
permet to use this method on new construction.