Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default New Door Installation Question

On 6/22/2012 1:02 PM, TomR wrote:
Kate wrote:
On 6/22/2012 11:24 AM, TomR wrote:

One thing that the OP (Kate) may want to consider trying, if it is
possible in her situation, is the following:

Place a block of wood next to the metal threshold and tap on the wood
lightly with a hammer to see if you can cause the metal threshold to
slide out from under the door jamb/frame. If so, you will be able
to slide it out, see what is under it, and maybe add a filler piece
or some filler material while it is out, and then put it back.

I am not sure how the threshold is attached to the door jamb/frame,
but I had one that I did that to and it slid right out without any
problem. Of course, you would have to be careful when trying this
to make sure that no damage to the jamb/frame occurs while tapping
on the wood to move the threshold.

It appears to be screwed down on one edge. I will have my friend
check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

Okay, that may make it easier. I read your other posts and maybe the
installer put the door in, poured the concrete underneath, and put some
screws in along one edge (maybe while the concrete was setting) so the
threshold wouldn't slide back and forth. If that's the case, you may be
able to have your friend just take out the screws, slide the threshold out,
put filler in underneath to support the threshold, and replace the
threshold.

What happened is I used to have a redwood deck. I had it removed and
concrete was poured. The old door perfectly against the concrete.
I can see why there is now a gap .

I did call the co. today, and the owner was great. He will be out
Monday to fill the gap in. He said it would probably be a concrete mix,
but that he needed to look at it first. His installer put it in.

Thanks.