Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default New Door Installation Question - Update

On 6/22/2012 12:53 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:24:55 -0400, wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 21, 10:59 pm, wrote:

Thank you. I guess I will call the installer back, or simply mix some
powdered concrete with water and neatly push it underneath the
sill.

It depends on what is under the threshold as to whether or not that
will work.

If it's just block like my garage entry was, then all you'll be able
to do is get concrete on the front lip and maybe along the ledge where
2 block meet.

Other than that, the more concrete you push in, the more will just
fall into the block cavity.

The support really should have been added before the door was
installed, but I guess you know that by now.

I'd be interested to hear what the installer tells you.

One thing that the OP (Kate) may want to consider trying, if it is possible
in her situation, is the following:

Place a block of wood next to the metal threshold and tap on the wood
lightly with a hammer to see if you can cause the metal threshold to slide
out from under the door jamb/frame. If so, you will be able to slide it
out, see what is under it, and maybe add a filler piece or some filler
material while it is out, and then put it back.

I am not sure how the threshold is attached to the door jamb/frame, but I
had one that I did that to and it slid right out without any problem. Of
course, you would have to be careful when trying this to make sure that no
damage to the jamb/frame occurs while tapping on the wood to move the
threshold.

I do not believe there is a manufactured door frame made where the
aluminum threshold, step, or whatever you want to call it is not
fastened to the wood frame in some way which would cause damage if you
tried to knock it out. DO NOT TRY IT!!!!
I've handled HUNDREDS of entry systems - NONE of which had a "loose"
step-plate, thrshold, step, or whatever you want to call it.

I called the co. that I bought my new door from. They also installed
it. He said a caulk was applied underneath it and there is no chance of
the sill warping. I told him I did not like the look of a gap
underneath it, and the fact that water will get underneath it when I
hose off my deck.

He was super nice, and will be out on Monday to put some concrete, or
some type of product underneath it to seal it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Much appreciated.