Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fuzzy Math

On Jun 21, 8:56*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:30:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 21, 12:13*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Doug" wrote

I would have simply pointed out the logic that if there is a discount,
how could his discounted price be greater than the undiscounted price.
Even if he isn't good with numbers, he should see the logic I hope. If
not, then I'd say good bye to him. * And unless you have nothing
better to do, I wouldn't waste my time contacting them further. *I
mean do you really think you will make a difference????

If I get bad service at a restaurant, I won't leave before talking to the
manager. *If his response is unacceptable, I then will call corporate, or
whatever the contact person is. *You do no service by condoning poor service
and not speaking up.

Steve

That is really the best practice.

My son is in the "Hospitality Management" business. He put himself
through school by being a (very good) server and bartender.

The problem with not tipping a server who gave you poor service is
that the bartender, the cooks, the bus boys, etc. also don't get a
tip, even though they may have provided excellent service - service
that the patron didn't experience directly. The same goes for not
tipping a very polite and efficient server because the meal itself
sucked. The server gets no tip for her work when the problem was in
the kitchen.

Tough. *If my experience isn't up to expectations, for any reason, they all
suffer. *That's the whole point of tips.

ummm...that doesn't make sense, based on what you say next...read on.

In most major restaurants tips are shared across a number of staff
members, many of whom you never interact with, but that had a part in
your experience.

That ****es me off. *The tip is supposed to be for the server, not as a way
for management to cut costs. *I always pay the tip in cash (95% of the time,
the entire bill is in cash), for this reason.

Earlier you said that you want them all to suffer, so you don't tip,
yet it ****es you off if the tip gets shared.

You can't have one without the other. If the normal practice wasn't to
share tips, how you you make the whole team suffer by not tipping?

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the tip is supposed to be for
the server. As far as I know, the sharing of tips has been common
practice throughout the ages.

I know, I know...they are all part of a team and if one team member
screws up, the whole team loses. I get that.

Precisely. *If I knew the server was forced to give up any portion of the tip,
I wouldn't even be eating there in the first place.

Then stop going to restaurants, because now you know.

However, getting the manager involved can help get to the root of the
problem.

It's not my job to train the staff, or the management.

One time the service that we experienced at the table was terrible but
the food (once the server got our order right) was excellent. I left
no tip with the bill but I found the manager and gave her the tip
explaining the issues. I told her to split the tip anyway she wanted
but that it would be my preference that the server got no part of it.
I can be lenient and still tip for poor service if I can tell that the
server is new and is at least trying. (Hwy, my son was new once and
I'm sure he made some mistakes.) It's the gruff, uncaring "seasoned"
servers who either have a lousy attitude or no attitude at all - they
just don't care - that I don't like.

I'm with you there, though my patience only goes so far (and is certainly a
function of other circumstances).