Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default connecting up gas hob

On Friday, June 22, 2012 11:16:50 PM UTC+1, Heliotrope Smith wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote in
:

On Friday, June 22, 2012 8:37:21 PM UTC+1, Toby wrote:
On 22/06/2012 20:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The manual says:

The end of the inlet connection point of the gas hob has a 1/2"
(20.955 mmm) thread that allows for: * fixed connection
* connection using a flexible metal pipe (L min. 1 m - max. 3m)

Anyone know what this "flexible metal pipe" is ?

'TracPipe' is a semi rigid flexible metal pipe. (Google that, plenty of
info on it) can be used to connect to fixed appliances.

Although flexible cooker hoses are flexible metal pipes covered in rubber
I would not think that these are refered to.

There must be a means of isolation for the gas to the hob which you seem
to have omitted.

Read up more of the manufactures instructions and gas regulations if you
are thinking of doing it yourself. You must be competent to do this kind
of work.

It would probably be better/safer to get a Gassafe registered person in to
do the gas work.

Ouch that tracpipe is expensive !
I forgot to mention the isolation valve - that will be included and be accesible at the back of the neighbouring cupboard.

My brother in law is gassafe and he will be doing it, so I guess I should ask him how he wants to do it.
It might be possible to leave the cabinet loose so it can be removed when the worktop and hob cutout is in place, but I dont like the leaving the thin strips of worktop behind and in front of the hob unsupported. However I could lower the unit legs to get it back in fairly easily.

Or I could make a cutout in some of the spare worktop and use that to position the pipe, then mark it through onto the main worktop. The should get it in place to a millimetre tolerance.

Simon.