Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default New Door Installation Question

On 6/22/2012 7:14 AM, TomR wrote:
Kate wrote:
On 6/21/2012 7:33 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:05:44 -0700, Kate wrote:

I just had a new door and frame installed today. It looks great,
except I am not sure if the door sill (threshold or whatever it is
called) is done right.

It is the metal part that one walks on, or over, when entering the
foyer. It is a bit flexible when one stands on it, and my old sill
was very stable.

Mine was the same, and eventually the plastic/rubber strip which was
screwed to the top cracked - I glued that back together and added
more support under the metal part, so it shouldn't happen again.

cheers

Jules

Thank you. I guess I will call the installer back,

That's one option.

or simply mix some
powdered concrete with water and neatly push it underneath the sill.

That's probably what I would do since it appears that you have access to get
some type of filler material under the threshold. I think a small bag of
mortar mix would probably work -- they sell small, maybe 5 or 10 pound
plastic bags, of mortar mix at Home Depot etc. Or, if you see the right
type of filler material in a caulking tube, and if you have a caulking gun,
you may want to get that and just pump the stuff in under the threshold with
the caulking gun.

I do have the concrete mix. The man who did my back door simply applied
concrete underneath the sill after the door was installed.
Thanks.