Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New Door Installation Question

On Jun 21, 10:59*pm, Kate wrote:
On 6/21/2012 7:33 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:05:44 -0700, Kate wrote:

I just had a new door and frame installed today. *It looks great, except
I am not sure if the door sill (threshold or whatever it is called) is
done right.

It is the metal part that one walks on, or over, when entering the
foyer. *It is a bit flexible when one stands on it, and my old sill was
very stable.

Mine was the same, and eventually the plastic/rubber strip which was
screwed to the top cracked - I glued that back together and added more
support under the metal part, so it shouldn't happen again.

cheers

Jules

Thank you. *I guess I will call the installer back, or simply mix some
powdered concrete with water and neatly push it underneath the sill.- Hide quoted text -

It depends on what is under the threshold as to whether or not that
will work.

If it's just block like my garage entry was, then all you'll be able
to do is get concrete on the front lip and maybe along the ledge where
2 block meet.

Other than that, the more concrete you push in, the more will just
fall into the block cavity.

The support really should have been added before the door was
installed, but I guess you know that by now.

I'd be interested to hear what the installer tells you.

You might consider calling the manufacturer of the door first and get
their opinion. If the "flex" is going to void the warranty, you need
to know that before the installer says "Don't worry about, it'll be
fine."