Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Mini-split AC systerms? ? ?

On Jun 21, 1:31*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:39:33 -0400, "Ray"

wrote:
I'm considering getting one of those Mitsubishi mini-split air conditioning
systems as an alternative to central AC, with a single small external unit
serving three *units inside the apartment.

This is also a heat pump.

I've been told that these systems require a lot of maintenance.

I'd be grateful if anyone could provide experience with these systems.
Thanks.

I have central air but we installed 2 mini splits and we end up using
them more than the central system.
It lets us just cool the rooms we are in and not cool the whole house.
We can keep the bedroom cool enough for my wife at night while the
rest of the house is allowed to warm up.
I don't know of any real maintenance issues. These things just run. I
also think Evan has never seen one if he thinks the neighbors will
complain about the compressor noise., They are so quiet you have to
look at the fan to see if it is running.

I think that you missed the entire point of my post:

Unless the OP is the owner of the building he doesn't
have the right, legal or otherwise to install something
outside on the ground outside of the boundaries of
his "apartment" noise or otherwise...

So they may be quiet, and the ones that are maintained
and properly sized usually are, but if it is running at
full capacity and hasn't been kept clean they do get
louder over time...