Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crack in air tank

On 2012-06-20, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 6/20/2012 12:42 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:28:36 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

Send it out to a certified shop. That way you are covered if it fails. I
don't trust most compressors and locate them either outside the normal
work areas or inside a separate room. That also allows for much quieter
shop floor and usually cleaner air since you can install larger filters.
My current compressor is set up in a small 8X8 shed located next to the
shop. I also keep the spare parts like oil and belts in there as well.

Tanks also last longer if the compressor is not mounted to them. Mount
the compressor on vibration mounts to a solid foundation, give it a nice
long cooling run to the tank with a drain leg, and save the tank a bunch
of vibratory fatigue stress. Me at least 3 for keeping it outside to
minimize noise and the extent of bad things that can happen (borrow from
boiler houses and design your shed with strong walls and a weak roof if
you want to be even more cautious about tank explosions.)

--

Im not sure its going to be worth it to put a cracked 30 gallon tank in
for repair and then plumb it in. Given the huge number of 100-500

Gunner

I've been looking for a month now, rare as hen's teeth just now...maybe
later the used machine supply houses will be glutted with them. I'd
prefer an 80 for this application.

Damn, it's just a little crack on a weld on a leg. I assume the
vibration from the big pump and motor were too much for that little tank.

Was the compressor ever dropped in the legs, during installation etc?

We had the same problem, my guy welded it, had a pinhole like Steve B,
welded over the pinhole, it is fine now.

Not to my knowledge. I think the pump/motor are too big for that tank
and too much vibration was the culprit. I would make a soft mount if I
get it fixed. It sure recovers quick!