Doug Miller

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

In article , "Toller" wrote:
You are allowed to install a GFCI outlet with no ground connection to
provide a 3 prong outlet when no ground is available.

Yes, it is a 3 prong outlet, but it is the same as breaking the ground off
the plug; the ground on the GFCI is not connected to anything.
Off hand I can't think of anywhere this distinction would matter,

That was explained in the part that you snipped:

You are allowed to install a GFCI outlet with no ground connection to
provide a 3 prong outlet when no ground is available. This is safe
because the GFCI will trip if there is any fault current flowing to an
external ground (like between your hair dryer and the sink faucet via
your arms!).

except for a possible nuisance trip.

Dunno about you... but IMO in the situation described above, it's much more of
a nuisance if it does *not* trip...

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com