Chance Casey

Default Buying a table saw, have questions, new to woodworking

My advice as a beginner - If space is at a premium, get a decent
($400+ if new) TS. You'll probably have to get an aftermarket miter
gauge also which will run you $100-$200 easily. Check the TS bevel
adjustment also, make sure it's really fine-tunable if you'll be
making a lot of these cuts. This should eliminate the need for a
dedicated miter saw.

As far as the other features, play with the demo model if possible,
and try to imagine how each feature is really going to make your life
easier, if applicable. Try to think about what cuts you'll make the
most. If it seems worth the cash, get it.

I made the mistake of buying a TS before I really learned about them,
on impulse because it was marked down to $199 at HD. It's the makita
2703 (benchtop). Most people here say it's a junker questionable for
even contactors, and yes, it has a crappy, non-standard, non-T miter
slot, crappy miter guage and fence. But, after building a base out of
2x4's, hard rubber wheels on 2 legs and rubber feet on the other 2
legs, it's mobile as heck and I just roll it somewhere where I have
more room and go to work. It's about 2' deep by 3.5' wide, and 32"
tall - which includes the rousseau extension. I also have a 2'x5'
bench that rolls similarly, and a fold up workbench - all the same
height. I "reengineered" my miter guage so that now I can at least
get 'consistent' miter cuts, though sometimes it takes a practice cut
or two. I'd love to be able to buy a good aftermarket miter gauge,
but since I don't cut them often, I don't mind spending an extra
minute or so for setup. The TS, extension, and table cost me $350
total so far. Since I'm a weekend warrior at best, it's all I really
need. Others will smoke my setup in miter and bevel productivity, but
given extra time for setup, I can do just about anything the better
TSs can do - just slower.

All in all, you'll be able to make whatever you get work for you. I
wouldn't necessarily recommend going the route I did, but don't blow a
huge wad (just yet) either. A good used one may be right for you also.
Forget about "folding up" if at all possible, think about "rolling" -
either storebought or homebuilt. Not much else you can do if you have
space problems, imho