Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Door Installation Question

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:13:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 20, 7:05Â*pm, Kate wrote:
I just had a new door and frame installed today. Â*It looks great, except
I am not sure if the door sill (threshold or whatever it is called) is
done right.

It is the metal part that one walks on, or over, when entering the
foyer. Â*It is a bit flexible when one stands on it, and my old sill was
very stable.

Do I need to call the guy back to put some type of support underneath
it? Â*If I don't, could a heavy person standing on it dent it?

Thank you!

Kate

My dad had a front entry door installed and his aluminum threshold has
a little give to it, something I didn't like when I checked it out.

The main reason I checked it out so carefully is that I had 2 entry
doors to install, one really nice one for the front entrance and one
basic one for a side entrance to the garage. I made sure I supported
the thresholds so that they are as solid as a rock.

The thing is, I don't think we step on either one. We don't ever use
the garage entry door, in fact there's a desk blocking it on the
inside.

As far as the front door...well, that's a funny thing. I just went in
and out as a "test" and stepped over the threshold in both directions.
Do I do that ever time? Does SWMBO step on or over it? I don't know.

Now I'll have to pay attention.

In any case, I wanted mine to be solid so that's how I installed them.

Was your old threshold metal or wood? Both of mine were wood, so of
course they were solid. I put pressure treated wood under my new
thresholds to support them.

Don't know about the OP, but mine is concrete.