Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default The creek is drowning you guys--Bill's project update

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:43:57 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Yep, you're right ... and that's the first thing I added to a similar
one about ten years ago:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Bench.jpg

Noticed the vise on that bench. Have you ever seen any sag on the end
of the bench from the weight of it?

The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Record 53 vise that I am
going to mount on a 1.3/4" laminated maple bench. I figure it's over
50 lbs. It's considerably wider than the one you've got and I'll have
to move the legs inward at that end at least a foot.

Don't laugh at me, but I'm worried about the end of the bench sagging
form the weight. Am I being paranoid?

Never had a problem, and that bench top is just a solid core door with a
Masonite type skin on it, but my vise is not that heavy. I would think that
with sufficient apron mass, and a 4x leg close by to transfer the weight
down to the floor, that 50 lbs would not be of great concern. For a couple
of years I had a Delta Mortiser more or less permanently attached to the
other end and never had a problem with it ... is your vise that heavy?

--
www.ewoodshop.com